Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fireplace Facelift Part 1

At last I got up the courage to paint my fireplace! As I was sitting watching Mr C cut wood planks for our new patio, I was suddenly overcome with the 'burning' desire to paint the dreary red brick surround. I had all the supplies I needed so I just jumped right in! Turned on my 50's tunes and painted til my heart was content (well, til the fireplace was painted). So without further ado, here is some iPhone pics documenting the event ;)



First vacuumed the surface and wiped it with a damp cloth to get all the dust off.
Next, I used 1 coat of KILZ primer to seal the entire surface.



2 coats of a General Paint dreamy white and it is perfect!
I used a paint brush for the entire job. No roller was harmed in the painting of my fireplace ;)



What do you think so far? So this was the first part of my transformation. Yet to happen is painting out the brass on the black gas fireplace. As you can see, I left the slate (or whatever the black stone work is on the base) for now. Mr. Cupcake and I will also change the mantle in the near future.



Wanting some before shots? Remember this post? I still have to change out the light fixture for a mirror or something pretty. What an odd place for a light! I cant wait to see this through. Stay tuned for Part 2 and 3 in the weeks to come :)

I am on 'hot coals' here waiting for what you think! Any experiences with high heat paint? Any tips? Have you transformed your fireplace from drab to shab (or fab!?) Tell me all about it! I would love to hear from you!

xoxo
huggs n loves,

6 comments:

I Love Pretty Little Things July 19, 2010 at 4:45 AM  

I LOVE IT! In my last house I had the ugly brown brick painted white and it lit up the whole room. But, I love everything white.
Very nice job,
Joyce

Randi July 19, 2010 at 5:40 AM  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Remember when I had my done for the renos, to sell the house? All those years looking at old fireplace and then to see that beautiful crisp white fireplace, wish I had done it years and years before. Great job girlfriend!

Jessica July 19, 2010 at 1:11 PM  

Hi Becky,

It looks great, I love it! Job well done. I love bricks when they are painted white. Think of how beautiful it will look in the winter when there is a fire going in there.

Jessica

Rebecca July 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

YAY!!! Becky it's looking great! I love the white! I cannot wait to see the new mantle too! What a huge difference already with some white paint!!

Rosie July 20, 2010 at 6:55 PM  

NIGHT and DAY...CrAzY GOOD!!!!
I love the graphic look. Has a wonderful F*R*E*S*H appeal...way to live on edge there girlfriend...I know how scary painting brick can be, but you rocked it...or bricked it
...smile on Rosie

Jessica July 23, 2010 at 11:04 PM  

Hey Becky,

Check out my blog, I gave you an award!

Jessica @ www.seatomyheart.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and please feel free to comment :) I love comments :)