Tuesday, July 31, 2012

"How I Make That Money Honey"

As I await my blog redesign, I thought I would have trouble thinking of something to write about.  That is until I came across Lindsey's link up party: How I Make That Money Honey!

Visit Lindsey at The Bargain Blonde!  Her Link Party is here:

What a great idea!  I always wonder what the lovely bloggers do that I read about daily!  So, I guess I will tell you the story of what I 'do' for a living.  Besides my  super awesome new role as a MOMMY!

Once I graduated High School way back in the stone ages, I dabbled in college.  I mean dabbled.  Nothing I took (because of how you were able to pick in first year General Studies) was even interestng to me.  Computer Science?  Heck to the No.  Math, SORRY!  Any how, I worked full time at a large retail store for 12 years.  When I was in my 8th year, I decided it was time for me to go back to school.  "No thank you, I am not interested in your management team" They were so good to me as I took pre-requisites for my chosen profession.  I loved loved LOVED (still do) Biology and most Sciences.  I love people.  I love helping people.  It was pretty clear...I wanted to be a Regisitered Nurse.

Once I was in my Bachelors of Science in Nursing program my love for Nursing really blossomed. Four years of quite possibly the most difficult, time consuming, lovely, frustrating, awesome learning experiences later...I have my Degree. And I have been working as a RN in our beautiful new regional hospital since it opened and for two years prior to that in our very decrepid now demoloished hospital.  Totalling six years of doing what I love.



This lovely picture was taken on a hilarious night of hijinx in 2009...ha!  Mesh Undies are so sassy!
As for where in the hospital I work...well, I work in the ICU for patients with mostly terminal illness.  They are most likely have a pain crisis, intractable nausea and vomiting, gastro blockages, bleeds, care giver burnout or complicated family dynamics.  Or a host of other awful things that we pride ourselves on being able to help, comfort, love, care, support, treat, palliate, and just have so much compassion for. 

I love my job, moreover, I love my calling.  I miss it as I am on Materity Leave with my adorable lil man.  OK, cos I love you all, I am gonna share a TERRIBLE picture of me from Halloween of 2011.  I was MASSIVELY preggers with AJ and had polyhydramnios and edema like you wouldnt believe!  SO DONT JUDGE! HA!  My costume was a baker...I had a "Bun in the Oven"...my patients and families loved it! 

Side note here, Just remembering how much my patients "took care of me" while working being pregnant.  So sweet.  It may be taboo to say I can't wait to go back from Mat Leave, but I am so excited for February 2013. Tertiary Hospice Palliative Care Team! Yessssssssssss. 

Hug a Nurse...they spend thier days away from thier families caring for yours.  With Love.

6 comments:

Bethe August 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM  

Liked your post - good to see a fellow healthcare worker! Nursing is such a calling - my baby sis works in the neuro ICU at one of the biggest hospitals in Texas. Not easy, but so, so important. Good luck!

Jeni Q August 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM  

How great is that! What a rewarding and awesome career path! Your blog is absolutely adorable. So glad to have found you, and become your newest follower =)

Brandy Bruce August 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM  

Your job sounds perfect for you! I would have loved to have been a nurse except for the fact that I couldn't pass any science classes and I can't handle blood or yucky things. But it seems like such a great job and one of those careers that's always in demand! Great post! I hope you'll hop over and check out mine too!

Martha August 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM  

Congrats on finding your niche! Science and health was never my thing (I faint!, but props to those who can handle it!

Randi August 1, 2012 at 9:26 PM  

Oh how I laughed when I saw that picture of the meshies....that night was hysterical.

liz @ bon temps beignet August 2, 2012 at 11:28 AM  

I had no idea you were a nurse! You look about 18 years old, so I'm not sure how it's even possible for you to have been one for so many years. I had so many awesome nurses when I was in the hospital (for a week!!) with Charlie. Y'all are awesome!

ps: I still have a pair of mesh undies (unused, of course.... eww) from my stay. I just can't seem to toss em out. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and please feel free to comment :) I love comments :)